Pages

Tuesday 22 October 2013

My first English Lesson to a Young Learner by Skype.

Excited!
I've conducted a Skype lesson to a 7-year-old boy!

He has only an iPad and I am at a Windows laptop so I couldn't use any applications to share a whiteboard or a presentation or a pdf-file.
This student has some learning background - I taught him previously face to face. So the lesson was mostly a revision-type and also I had an aim to try teaching a kid on-line. We revised phonics, did some easy reading, then he read a book to me. Then we revised some vocabulary sets and classified objects. Bearing in mind young learners' short attention span I asked him to demonstrate several action verbs .  
Generally we both enjoyed, once he hid under the table to play - I just instantly turned to next activity and made it more challenging. The trick had worked and I didn't lose him anymore.
The most frustrating thing for me was the absence of possibility to manage the "class" phisycally - I knew that I couldn't point to a word in his book and I had no idea of what to do if he had just run away to another room and stayed there. Happily nothing uncontrollable happened))
Unfortunately the boy's mum is opposed to publish any video with him so I only took some snapshots.
I would like to use wider range of opportunities e-Teaching provides than only teach almost face-to-face style lesson by Skype. I am going to use view.com and other e-Teaching tools.
Follow my blog to keep up!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that ! I want to start using skype too, and any tips will be appreciated. Well done ! Best wishes Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the useful post! I'm also a British English teacher and have been working via Skype for the past 4 years. I recently penned an article for my teaching blog about the ins and outs of Skype functionality and how to make the most of it when teaching online. You may find it of use, especially the screenshare option, idroo whiteboard and message editing (for any typos): http://onlineteachersuk.com/en/teaching-english-using-skype/ - rgds, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    Thanks for this post.
    I did not know that it was possible to teach English using Skype.
    Your article inspired me, and I am now trying to find an online English teaching job.
    I applied here: http://www.mainichieikaiwa.jp
    It looks like an English school in Asia.

    ReplyDelete