Pages

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Writing and Speaking Activity for YLs, "In winter" topic, Skype


Today I want to tell you about the activity I did with my 7yo Skype student. We have learnt some "winter" vocabulary - I use the flashcards from the Teacher's Resource Book for Longman Children Picture Dictionary, we played some games and drilled the words. Then I decided to do a productive activity which would include writing and speaking.
I wrote "In winter" on a piece of paper and dividied the paper into two parts: "I put on" and "I can" - for the clothes and for the activities we had learnt.

Then I showed a flashcard and asked my student to classify: does it go with "I put on" or "I can".


So my student had to say: "In winter I put on my mittens". I wrote that down on the paper and the student could copy. Then we repeated the action.


When we had several cards done I stopped writing the words and my student just said the whole sentences which were clearly structured for him by that moment. So I could even do without the visual prompt and only showуed a flashcard to elicit "In winter I can have a snowball fight" etc.
So this activity lead the student from the vocabulary set to the controlled speaking and semi-controlled speaking which was amazing! And the copy of the activity is now on the wall above the student's bed to be revised))
Follow my blog for more ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment