Pages

Thursday 5 September 2013

Asynchronous e-Teaching - the Necessity of a Timetable for On-line Teaching


This summer I wanted to try teaching on-line asynchronously with my private Pre-Intermediate student. We both were going to travel much during the summer but at different periods of time and to different countries. However we didn't want to stop our English lessons.


So I  decided I would post quizzes and assignments for my student in edmodo to let her do them when she had time.
The first breakdown I met was simple absence of the Internet connection in the hotel where I stayed in June (they said on their site they have it, and they had, but it turned out to be quite expensive). So I had to go to a restaraunt with free wi-fi to get it. As I had my two kids with me I couldn't spend much time there and that limited me much.
Then my student went to London and didn't have any time to turn on her computer to do the tasks.
During the summer the situation repeated several times then and in the end we have done only about 10% of what I planned to do. I think I should have set deadlines for the tasks and that would improve the situation much.
The other conclusion I made - There is little use in on-line courses which you can do for as long as you want. I myself "paused" a udacity course How To Build a Startup in April - 4 months ago! The course has no schedules or deadlines. But when I did E-learning and Digital Cultures coursera course which was weekly planned - I completed it. I even remember my anticipation for the new week material to be revealed)). Both of the courses have great content and were relevant to my needs and interest.

Now we decided to establish a timetable with my student. I am looking forward to seeing the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment